Inside wins big at the British Academy Games Awards 2017
Last night, the BAFTA’s celebrated video games with its annual British Academy Games Awards, and while Uncharted 4 won the main award, Indie game, Inside, took home four awards.
It wasn’t just a good night for Inside, which won Artistic Achievement, Game Design, Narrative and Original Property. It was also a good night for Firewatch, which took home both Debut Game and Performer awards, and Overcooked, which took home both British game and family awards.
The most emotional moment of the night was in the Game Innovation category, which was won by That Dragon, Cancer, an autobiographical game is based on the Greens’ experience of raising their son Joel, who was diagnosed with terminal cancer.
The Best Game award, the main award of the night, had a strong mix of indie and AAA games with Firewatch, Inside, Overwatch, Stardew Valley, Titanfall 2 and Uncharted 4 all competing for the top prize, but there can only be one winner, and the prize went to Naughty Dog’s Uncharted 4.
At the end of the night, Brenda Romero was presented with The Special Award in recognition of her outstanding creative contribution to the industry and for her illustrious career in game design, her advocacy for the art and creative process behind game-making, and her commitment to encouraging the next generation of talent in the industry.
Below is the full list of winners:
- SPECIAL AWARD: Brenda Romero
- ARTISTIC ACHIEVEMENT: INSIDE – Playdead
- AUDIO ACHIEVEMENT: THE LAST GUARDIAN – SIE Japan Studio, genDesign/Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe
- BEST GAME: UNCHARTED 4– Naughty Dog LLC/Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe
- BRITISH GAME: OVERCOOKED – Ghost Town Games/Team17 Digital Ltd
- DEBUT GAME: FIREWATCH – Campo Santo Productions/Campo Santo Productions, Panic Inc.
- EVOLVING GAME: ROCKET LEAGUE – Psyonix/Psyonix
- FAMILY: OVERCOOKED – Ghost Town Games/Team17 Digital Ltd
- GAME DESIGN: INSIDE Development Team – Playdead/Playdead
- GAME INNOVATION: THAT DRAGON, CANCER– Numinous Games/Numinous Games
- MOBILE: POKÉMON GO – Niantic Inc./Niantic Inc.
- MULTIPLAYER: OVERWATCH – Blizzard Entertainment/Blizzard Entertainment
- MUSIC: VIRGINIA Lyndon Holland – Variable State/505 Games
- NARRATIVE: INSIDE Arnt Jensen – Playdead/Playdead
- ORIGINAL PROPERTY: INSIDE – Playdead/Playdead
- PERFORMER: CISSY JONES as Delilah in Firewatch
- BAFTA ONES TO WATCH AWARD IN ASSOCIATION WITH DARE TO BE DIGITAL: AMONG THE STONES Lukasz Gomula, Alberto Taiuti, James Wood, Roberto Macken, Kevin McKenna, Rory Sweeney – Bluedoor Games
- AMD ESPORTS AUDIENCE AWARD: CLASH ROYALE Supercell/Supercell
Author: Aaron Meehan
Hi, I’m the creator of SG Gaming Info. When I’m not working on my writing or creating content for this site’s YouTube channel, I like to relax and enjoy character driven story games.